Carrom is a popular board game similar to table games such as Pool, Billiards and Snooker. The game consists of 19 round discs (known as counters) on a square board which has 4 “pockets” at its corners. Instead of the Cue Stick of the table games, a heavier disc known as the Striker is used to hit the counters into the pockets. Players use their finger to “flick” the striker at the counters. Refer to the detailed rules below.
Carrom Mania makes use of a simple touch interface to allow you to play the game similar to the way as you would on an actual carrom board. First place two fingers anywhere on the screen, and move them left and right to position the striker on the baseline. When this is done, then use a single finger to make a “Swipe” motion anywhere on the screen. The striker will then launch in the direction and speed of the swipe.
With an average game duration of around 10 minutes, Carrom Mania is the perfect pastime … anytime. The game is free to download and includes:
- A Freestyle mode – finish the board in minimum number of strikes
- A new Target Mode with 5 levels to clear. Each level will test your skill with the Striker
- Compare your scores with players worldwide on Game Center
- Unlock achievements as you play each Game Mode
Additionally, the game includes an In-App Purchase that will unlock an additional 20 levels in the Target Mode, and also an AI mode to play against the Device in 3 different skill levels.
Each game you play will improve your skill. As you grow in confidence, take on the device in the Expert Mode (in full version). So far we have yet to defeat this opponent but its not impossible – remember it requires finesse and a bit of luck!
In the AI mode, each player must pocket their color counters only. While playing against the device, the Human plays with the light counters (Player 1)
- The light counters (Player 1) makes the first move
- The turn remains with a player as long as they “pocket” a counter during the turn
- The player with the current turn is highlighted in green
- If a player pockets an opponent counter without pocketing his / her own counter in the same shot, then the turn passes to the opponent
- If a player pockets the Striker, then one of their pocketed counters will be placed back on the board. The turn will pass to the next player
- To take possession of the queen, a player must pocket one of their counters immediately after pocketing the queen, failing which the queen is placed back on the board
- If a player pockets his / her counter along with the queen in the same strike, then the queen is awarded to the player
- If a player finishes his / her counters while the queen is still on the board then that player loses the match
- If a player finishes the opponent’s counters while the queen is on the board then the opponent automatically wins the match
- The queen may be pocketed at any point during the match
- There is no restriction on the direction of the strike